Saturday, February 11, 2012

Chirba Chirba

Soon after I read about the food truck Chirba Chirba in a local magazine I googled them and marked my calendar to pay a visit the next time they came from their regular location in Durham down to Raleigh.  Today they were parked in front of the Big Boss Brewery off of Capital Blvd, where they apparently show up every second Saturday of the month from 2-6pm.  Specializing in Chinese dumplings, the food did not disappoint. Now mind you I have eaten dumplings in China, both this style and the delectable "soup dumplings" where one must first drink the broth before eating; a tricky business. Though these weren't the slurpy type, we were still very happy with these! My daughters and I tried the Porkedame and the Juicy Buns.  Both dumpling types are filled with morsels of pork, one with edamame, the other just with a sweeter version of pork.  A veggie dumpling is also on the menu. Three dipping sauces were available; a Chinese dark vinegar (my personal favorite), a sweeter pineapple vinegar (also very good), and a ginger vinegar. For only 50 cents more we ordered the Sweet potato glass noodles in a sesame soy dressing.  The owner offered us a taste of the sweet sausage as well.  Well worth a full order! After this late afternoon snack I begged the owner to come to Raleigh more often, which he so kindly replied saying that he was working on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment